The Equality Act 2010 came into force in October 2010. It says that it is sex discrimination to treat a woman unfavourably because she is breastfeeding. It applies to anyone providing services, benefits, facilities and premises to the public, public bodies, further and higher education bodies and associations.
If you are breastfeeding in a public place such as a café, park, shop, cinema,, on a bus etc, you cannot be asked to stop or refused to be served. You are also protected on public transport such as buses, trains and planes.
However, many people still find it daunting to breastfeed in public places, so in Sheffield we have a list of venues which would like to show their support to breastfeeding mums and families. These places have been accredited with Sheffield’s Breastfeeding Friendly Award.
Click on the link below to see the current list of venues, by postcode area. Once you have the list on your screen, you can choose the area of Sheffield you want to view by clicking on the postcode tabs at the bottom of your screen.
Sheffield Breastfeeding Friendly Venues July 2018
If you would like to nominate a venue for the Breastfeeding Friendly Award, please contact us at email@example.com
Breastfeeding Friendly Ambassadors
We are looking for a group of breastfeeding mums to become our Breastfeeding Friendly Ambassadors and breastfeed around Sheffield for us!
As Ambassadors, we want you to get out into your local community and find places where you feel comfortable to breastfeed and where you are made to feel welcome.
Now for the important bit:
- We will provide you with a list of places and would like you to add your own favourites to it.
- Please don’t limit yourselves to Cafes, as your local Church, Community Centre, School, Pharmacy, Supermarket or Pub may prove to be supportive and welcoming.
- If you have a current favourite or discover somewhere new, take a photograph/selfie and send it to our Breastfeeding in Sheffield Facebook page.
- It would be great if your photos could include you, of course, and if possible, the venue name or a member of staff!
The best bit!!!:
You will be raising awareness of breastfeeding and helping new mums to feel confident when breastfeeding in public. Also, we will be giving vouchers of your choice for
- the best photos
- the most interesting and useful new venues
For more information, please contact our Facebook page or email firstname.lastname@example.org